Did you know that Alzheimer's Disease is currently the 6th leading cause of death in the United States? Unfortunately, the number of Americans diagnosed with Alzheimer's and other dementias is expected to increase significantly in the years to come. The Alzheimer's Association estimates that the United States will experience a 300% increase in the number of Americans diagnosed, and a 400% increase in the costs associated with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias by the year 2050.
Alzheimer's Disease - Fast Facts
- Alzheimer's Disease is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States.
- Every 66 seconds, someone in the US is diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease.
- AD is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States.
- 1 in 3 senior citizens dies from Alzheimer's or another dementia
- AD kills more than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.
- Since 2000, deaths from Alzheimer's Disease have increased by 89%
- In 2017, AD and other dementias cost the United States $259 billion.
- By 2050, it's estimated that costs related to Alzheimer's Disease could rise as high as $1.1 trillion.
- The number of Americans living with Alzheimer's Disease is expected to increase to more than 16 million by 2050, representing a 300% increase from the 5 million Americans currently living with AD today.