According to a recent Accenture analysis, artificial intelligence technologies have the potential to save the US healthcare economy approximately $150 billion annually by 2026. Growth opportunities are hard to come by without significant investment, but artificial intelligence (AI) is a self-running engine for growth in healthcare.
AI in health represents a collection of multiple technologies enabling machines to sense, comprehend, act and learn so they can perform administrative and clinical healthcare functions. Unlike legacy technologies that are only algorithms/ tools that complement a human, health AI today can truly augment human activity.
Here are the top 10 AI applications, ranked by their estimated annual benefits by 2026.
1. Robot-assisted surgery: $40 billion
2. Virtual nursing assistants: $20 billion
3. Administrative workflow assistance: $18 billion
4. Fraud detection: $17 billion
5. Dosage error reduction: $16 billion
6. Connected machines: $14 billion
7. Clinical trial participant identifier: $13 billion
8. Preliminary diagnosis: $5 billion
9. Automated image diagnosis: $3 billion
10. Cybersecurity: $2 billion